Monday, October 13, 2014

One Big Ship

We are aboard the Diamond Princess, owned by Princess Cruises. She's 10 years old - middle-aged in cruise ship terms. Her vital statistics are:

length 940 feet
width 120 feet
height 180 feet
weight 250 million pounds 
speed 23.5 mph 
gas turbine 1 as on Boeing 747
diesels 2 x 8-cylinder & 2 x 9-cylinder
fuel 1 gallon for 6 feet traveled
cost 500 million U.S. dollars
passengers 2600
crew & staff 1200


I'm sure you can learn more by searching yourself. I'd do that for you, but I'm running low on satellite Internet minutes ($25-50/hr). We're not close enough to shore to turn on my cell phone and I don't want it to grab the ship's marine cell service ($300/hr). 


Last summer on our Jason trip, I read about a yacht owner who invited his grandkids for a long weekend cruise. They got bored and stayed in their cabin most of the time, playing video games on their phones. Grandpa got a $6000 bill for their satellite data usage!


It's 7 am, I can see both land and the sun. Things are looking up!

The two pools on deck 14 have been refilled. I decided to test the water. But not to go in. 


For exercise this morning I went to every stairwell, and took pictures of the art hung there. Here's an example (I'll save you the trouble of viewing the other 54 pictures & the agony of 55 flights of steps). 


Here's our hallway - about 850 feet long!


If you are lucky, you can click on this link and see the view from our bridge camera

http://www.princess.com/bridgecams/?shipCode=di

Otherwise, you can only see me ... and a few scattered clouds, and Japan, and the ocean, and a ship, and (is this starting to sound like a sketch from Monty Python?)





No comments:

Post a Comment